Colleen’s mother Doris fingerprinting New West police
We do not buy stories and we do not sell them. You give us your story for free and we post it for free (unless you’re resubmitting). You are donating your story to the Archive but hold the copyright to it, giving us permission to use it (or parts of it) to promote My Mother’s Story. You can continue to use it anywhere, anyway you want. If we want to use the full story in any application – like a book, a podcast, a play, digital media – we will contact you and talk about it. If anyone writes us and wants to talk to you, we will pass on their contact info to you. For these reasons (and because we like you) please tell us any changes to your contact information.
Steps to submitting your story
1. We will not post stories that do not follow the writing recipe:
Tell the story of your mother’s life, just the facts, from beginning to end and remember you are just a footnote. It cannot be longer than 2000 words.
2. If your mother is still living, read the story to her and get her permission to submit it. Do not submit your story if your mother objects (see Written and Tucked Away).
3. Let other family members read the story. We have found that most relatives welcome the opportunity to talk about shared history. Family members also deserve the opportunity to comment and may provide new insights into your story. They may also want to write and submit their own version of her story.
4. You will have the option to have your story posted anonymously (just first names). We will need your name to stay in touch with you but will not disclose it to anyone unless legally compelled.
5. Family Cluster. If someone in your family has already posted a story, you can link your story to theirs. Please put their name at the top of your story. A symbol will be put on your story title to indicate whether you are a sibling § or a mother ⓜ to this writer. Then a tag will be created using the last name of the first person to submit so people can read all your family stories together.
6. When you’re ready fill in the submission form below. You will be asked to provide your name and email address and agree to our Licence Agreement. READ THE LICENCE AGREEMENT! It’s short, it’s clear, it’s legal.
7. Copy and paste your story into the box provided. Submit a nice photo of your mom (she can be any age).
8. Click Send
9. After it has been submitted your story will be reviewed to make sure it conforms with our recipe. If it passes muster, you will receive n email saying You’re Posted! If there are any questions, you may receive an email with editorial advice on changes necessary for your story. We do not provide any other advice on story submissions.
10. If, once it’s posted, you want to change your story just re-submit. Re-submissions will be charged $25.
If a dispute is raised to us on any story posted we will remove it and contact you. If you resolve the dispute to the satisfaction of all parties, you can submit your story again.
Any questions please contact us at info[at]mymothersstory.org